replacing ASP/VBScript with Python

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Tue Feb 15 14:45:24 EST 2005

Peter Maas wrote:
> Robert Brewer schrieb:
> >>I'm now confident that it is doable and keen on finding
> out. The usual
> >>question: what is the one and best way to do it? ;)
> >

> > Python ASP (pywin32), but put as little code as possible into the
> > ASP--make it just a stub to call the real Python app. That
> app will be
> > running persistently in the background, which should
> obviate most of the
> > need for session support. That's been my experience, anyway.
>
> Sounds reasonable. How do ASP-Python and IIS work together?
> Is the Python-
> Interpreter loaded each time a Python-ASP is called?

No, you get a persistent process (that's what I meant by "running
persistently"). Be careful using the Low or Medium "Application
Protection" settings, as your app may mix with other applications in the
same IIS process. Sometimes, that's what you want (two apps built using
the same framework can then share framework modules if you use Low or
Medium). On the other hand, the High setting lowers performance.

Robert Brewer
MIS
Amor Ministries
fumanchu at amor.org