Python for S60 mentioned in a mainstream Finnish e-news website

Irmen de Jong irmen at -nospam-remove-this-xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 2 13:48:03 EST 2005

Ville Vainio wrote:

>     >> (Yeah, ctypes will probably be a problem because of the way Symbian
>     >> handles DLLs)
>
>     Thomas> How *does* symbian handle DLLs?
>
> By ordinal, so the dll does not include the symbol name (in order to
> keep the size small). Linker finds the ordinals from the .LIB file
> that corresponds to the DLL.
>
> (Someone who knows better might want to correct me if I'm wrong).

<offtopic>
Heh, this somehow reminds me about the way shared libraries were
implemented on the Amiga.
No linking step; the function entry points were essentially a
big jump table in the library structure with every function having
a unique offset from the library's base.
Proved to make it very simple to patch OS functions too: just
patch the jump address in the jump table to jump to the patched
library function...
</offtopic>

Irmen