web camera or else ? 15-30 fps processing of camera videos.

Newbie serpent17 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 07:36:09 EST 2005

Folks:

here is a small summary:

For Linux based system, xawt seems to be the solution:
http://linux.bytesex.org/xawtv/
where one can get access to the stream from any device that has a video
output.

For win32, it looks like the solution is this:
http://videocapture.sourceforge.net/
where one has to use the python programming language.

Great help, thank you all,

Jake.

Matt D wrote:
> Newbie wrote:
> > I am doing some robotics projects but my main area of interest is
> > trying out several algorithms for the processing of the stream of
data
> > coming from the video.
>
> <snip>
>
> Same for me!  From what I can tell, a cheap webcam will "just work"
with
> a recent version of windows - i.e. plug it in using USB and then you
can
> have programmatic access to the data and grab frames very easily.
This
> setup works fine with my digital camera working as a webcam - real
£10
> webcams should be the same.  Not sure what Linux compatibility is
like
> these days - for that I know for a fact that the Hauppauge USB WinTV
> thing works (or at least the hardware version I have works) with
Linux.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020322015936/http://staff.aist.go.jp/naoyuki.ichimura/research/tips/v4ln_e.htm