replacing ASP/VBScript with Python

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 10:09:11 EST 2005

[Peter Maas]

| Peter Maas schrieb:
| > I have inherited an extremely messy ASP/VBScript application which
| > is a pain for me to support. Now the customer is thinking about a
| > redesign. I'd like to rewrite the whole thing in Python but the app
| > has to meet some conditions like
| >
| > - IIS frontend
| > - MSSQL db server
| > - Win32 authentication
| > - No 'ugly' URLs like http://server/cgi-bin/frontend.cgi?main.py
| > - Performance: intranet with ~ 1000 users
|
| In the meantime I have searched the internet and found plenty
| of options:
|
| - plain cgi with fastcgi and mod_rewrite for IIS to transform the URL
| - quixote cgi with fastcgi and mod_rewrite
| - Webware + wkcgi
| - Python ASP (registering Python with Pywin32 as ASP language)
| - mxODBC + SQL ODBC driver
| - pyADO + SQL MDAC driver

There has also been noise lately about an ISAPI-Python binding
(contributed via Mark Hammond of pywin32 fame, I think) and a
WSGI implementation of same. Haven't used either, and haven't
got time to trawl for links at the mo, but I'm fairly certain
the latest pywin32 has the core stuff.

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk