Next step after pychecker

aurora aurora00 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 11:49:06 EST 2005

A frequent error I encounter

   try:
     ...do something...
   except IOError:
     log('encounter an error %s line %d' % filename)

Here in the string interpolation I should supply (filename,lineno).
Usually I have a lot of unittesting to catch syntax error in the main
code. But it is very difficult to run into exception handler, some of
those are added defensely. Unfortunately those untested exception
sometimes fails precisely when we need it for diagnosis information.

pychecker sometime give false alarm. The argument of a string
interpolation  may be a valid tuple. It would be great it we can somehow
unit test the exception handler (without building an extensive library of
mock objects).