Is this a contradiction in the docs ?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Feb 2 08:03:49 EST 2005

Fuzzyman wrote:

> The following two passages from the python documentation *appear* to
> contradict each other. Equally possible (or more likely !) is that I
> misunderstand it :
>
> eval :
> This function can also be used to execute arbitrary code objects (such
> as those created by compile()). In this case pass a code object instead
> of a string. The code object must have been compiled passing 'eval' as
> the kind argument.
>

> compile:
> The kind argument specifies what kind of code must be compiled; it can
> be 'exec' if string consists of a sequence of statements, 'eval' if it
> consists of a single expression, or 'single' if it consists of a single
> interactive statement (in the latter case, expression statements that
> evaluate to something else than None will be printed).
>
> The docs for compile say that if you are creating a code object from a
> sequence of statements you must use the kind argument 'exec'. Eval says
> that if you are using the eval function you must use 'eval' as your
> kind argument.
>
> In practise I have found that using the eval function with code objects
> compiled with 'exec' as the kind argument works fine. Is this a 'bug'
> in the docs ?
> Regards,

"Dear List:

I live close to a railroad, and the tracks are surrounded by a fence
with large signs saying 'Walking on the tracks can be dangerous'.

I have walked on the tracks several times, however, and I don't see why
the railway company put those signs there. In fact I'm walking along the
tracks right now as I enter this post on my hand-held, and

[message ends with sound of locomotive horn followed by an ugly squelch]."

That's the kind of practice best avoided. Are you breaking the rules
just for the fun of it?

regards
  Steve
Come to PyCon DC 2005          http://www.python.org/pycon/2005/