variable declaration

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.com
Sat Feb 5 16:03:09 EST 2005

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 20:02:44 +0100, aleaxit at yahoo.com (Alex Martelli)
wrote:

>Arthur <ajsiegel at optonline.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 17:00:15 +0100, aleaxit at yahoo.com (Alex Martelli)
>> wrote:
>> >
>> >I consider this one of the worst ideas to have been proposed on this
>> >newsgroup over the years, which _IS_ saying something. \
>>
>> I would disagree, but only to the extent that nothing that is only a
>> request for an option toggle should qualify for this award.  For
>> anyone not interested in it's effects, it's business as usual.
>
>You must have lead a charmed life, I think, unusually and blissfully
>free from pointy-haired bosses (PHBs).  In the sublunar world that most
>of us inhabit, ``optional'' idiocies of this kind soon become absolutely
>mandatory -- thanks to micromanagement by PHBs.

It seems to me that you would be more accurate (and calmer) if you
generalized from your own experience, rather than in direct
contradiction to it.

That the firms that advocate the use of Python are the one's  least
likely to be dominated by PHB's who DKTAFTE (who don't know their ass
from their elbows).

Unless I am misintepreting  you.

Do the STUPID firms use Python as well.

Why?

Clearly there are stupider choices.

I prefer to use VB when doing certain kinds of stupid things.  It's
the right tool in those cases.

Really.

Perhaps the answer here has more to do with backing off efforts to
make Python ubiquitous.

Why shouldn't the community stay a bit elitist?

Or else maybe that's where you started on this thread, in fact - and
in your own way.

If so, I agree - within reason.

One doesn't toggle between VB and Python, perhaps is the point.  They
are of different species.

Art