- E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 04:44:34 EST 2005

Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
[snip..]
> >> b) Why does the Python Foundation not ensure, that the python
> >> source-code is directly compilable with MinGW?
> >
> > Why should they? It already runs on Windows with a freely available

> > compiler.
>
> Obvious: Courtesy [against the userbase needs]
>
> Obvious: Consistency [same code-base across different compiler]

Are you aware that the MSVC compiler they use produces tighter code
than gcc ? [1] *Most* users would rather have a faster python than a
python built with an open source compiler.

Particularly as distutils (read Python) can *easily* be configured to
use mingw to build extensions from source - which seems to be your real
requirement.

Regards,

Fuzzy
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/index.shmtl

[snip..]
> --
> http://lazaridis.com

[1] Not knocking gcc - it's just optimsied for portability rather than
speed. If you want to see *a* benchmark, there is a link to one in my
'upgrading python' article. (In the article section at
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/index.shmtl )