Python and version control

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Feb 9 13:13:01 EST 2005

Carl wrote:
> What is the ultimate version control tool for Python if you are working in a
> Windows environment?
>
> What is the most common adopted approach among Python developers working in
> a Windows environment?

I never liked coupling the two together like that.  Instead
I use tools like TortoiseCVS or (now) TortoiseSVN with a
Subversion repository.  These things let you access revision
control features from context (right-button) menus right in
Windows Explorer, as you browse the file system.

The best part is that they work regardless of which editor or
other tool you have to work with, and you aren't at the mercy
of a greedy corporation that decides it's time for you to
upgrade so you can give them more money.  You can also use
the command line tools when appropriate, of course.

--

BTW, as a general caution: while Visual Source Safe may be
"easy", it's also dangerous and has been known to corrupt

-Peter