OT: why are LAMP sites slow?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Feb 3 19:42:09 EST 2005

In article <7x8y65kwfl.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
Paul Rubin  <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

>I've only worked on one serious site of this type and it was "SAJO"
>(Solaris Apache Java Oracle) rather than LAMP, but the concepts are
>the same.  I just feel like something bogus has to be going on.  I
>think even sites like Slashdot handle fewer TPS than a 1960's airline
>reservation that ran on hardware with a fraction of the power of one
>of today's laptops.

Something I saw recently was that XML has inherently horrid performance
for searching precisely because it isn't fixed-length records.  Yes, the
old platforms handled more TPS, but they also handled much less data of
a form much more amenable to indexing.

"The joy of coding Python should be in seeing short, concise, readable
classes that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code --
not in reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death."  --GvR