XML with Unicode: what am I doing wrong?

Kevin Dangoor kid at kendermedia.com
Wed Feb 2 20:17:16 EST 2005

In article <ctr7ae$ioj$03$1 <at> news.t-online.com>,
 "Diez B. Roggisch" <deetsNOSPAM <at> web.de> wrote:
> you confuse unicode with utf8. Expat can parse the latter - the former is
> internal to python. And passing it to something that needs a string will
> result in a conversion - which fails because of the ascii encoding.

Ahh... that makes sense. I kept thinking that if I'm working with
unicode strings, I should be passing around unicode objects. What you
say makes sense, though, that the PyExpat understands UTF-8 encoded
strings. Working with unicode objects in Python is so transparent, it's
easy to forget about what a C extension would likely want.

Thanks Diez and Just for the quick responses!

Kevin