msnp, friends list

Mark Rowe mail.python.org at bdash.net.nz
Thu Feb 17 18:42:01 EST 2005

On Feb 18, 2005, at 11:35 AM, jr wrote:

> Sorry, I guess what I meant to ask was the status of the friends in the
> friends list begin updated. Right now we have a friends list which is
> being populated with the correct users, but their status (online,
> offline) is never getting set. For some reason the events aren't being
> fired??

Ok, I've seen this problem before.  Basically, the MSN servers do not
send state changes for your buddies if you change your status from
offline -> online before you have retrieved your entire buddy list.
There doesn't appear to be a way around that with msnp as it always
changes your state after sign-in, and it fails to group the buddy list
state into a single transaction so that you can tell when the entire
list has been retrieved...  It should be relatively simple to adapt the
code to fix the problem.

Regards,

Mark Rowe
<http://bdash.net.nz/>