fdups: calling for beta testers

Patrick Useldinger pu.news.001 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 05:58:58 EST 2005

John Machin wrote:

>>I've tested it intensively
> "Famous Last Words" :-)

;-)

> (1) Manic s/w producing lots of files all the same size: the Borland
> C[++] compiler produces a debug symbol file (.tds) that's always
> 384KB; I have 144 of these on my HD, rarely more than 1 in the same
> directory.

Not sure what you want me to do about it. I've decreased the minimum
block size once more, to accomodate for more files of the same length
without increasing the total amount of memory used.

> (2) There appears to be a flaw in your logic such that it will find
> duplicates only if they are in the *SAME* directory and only when
> there are no other directories with two or more files of the same
> size.

Ooops...
A really stupid mistake on my side. Corrected.

> (3) Your fdups-check gadget doesn't work on Windows; the commands
> module works only on Unix but is supplied with Python on all
> platforms. The results might just confuse a newbie:
> Why not use the Python filecmp module?

Done. It's also faster AND it works better. Thanks for the suggestion.

Please fetch the new version from http://www.homepages.lu/pu/fdups.html.

-pu