Kill GIL

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sun Feb 13 20:13:32 EST 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 00:53, Aahz wrote:
> In article <86sm405d38.fsf at guru.mired.org>, Mike Meyer  <mwm at mired.org>
wrote:
> >aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:
> >>
> >> Threads are also good for handling blocking I/O.
> >
> >Actually, this is one of the cases I was talking about. I find
> >it saner to convert to non-blocking I/O and use select() for
> >synchronization. That solves the problem, without introducing any of
> >the headaches related to shared access and locking that come with
> >threads.
>
> It may be saner, but Windows doesn't support select() for file I/O, and
> Python's threading mechanisms make this very easy.  If one's careful
> with application design, there should be no locking problems.  (Have you
> actually written any threaded applications in Python?)

Hehe.. the first thing a google search on "python non-blocking io threading"
returns "Threading is Evil".

Personally I need a solution which touches this discussion. I need to run
multiple processes, which I communicate with via stdin/out, simultaneously,
and my plan was to do this with threads. Any favorite document pointers,
common traps, or something else which could be good to know?

Cheers,

		Frans