PyQt documentation

Diez B. Roggisch deetsNOSPAM at web.de
Fri Feb 11 16:50:45 EST 2005

Eric Jardim wrote:
> *You* may not need. But think about other people. By the way, I found 9
> "I"s on your last message. Don't be that selfish :)

That's right - and it was done to express not my unarguably existing
selfishness, but to strech the fact that it was my opinion that not
necessarily qualifies as being "the one and only" opinion and didn't want
to discourage you too much. Never try to stop volontary workers (at least
not in documentation.. :)

But I'd still hold the impression that your problems might stem from you
wanting to code qt, before done in c++ and just by "accident" in python.
All real nasty problems I ran into appeared when I tried to do things that
are not complementary between python and qt (like the gui stuff) but in the
common subset. My troubles once came from using QThread (made my app
totally crash). QText*Stream plays for me in the same league: python itself
is perfectly capable of reading and writing data to disk/memory/your
wallpaper. So being a pythoneer, it never occured to me to use
QText*Streams :)

No having said that, I totally agree that such information is surely needed
- but I doubt that it really makes sense to create full docs at a api
level. It would be hard to be in sync with the qt development itself.

Instead a wiki which captures the various pitfalls would be cool. And it
appears it exists:

http://www.diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki

So maybe enhancing that would be an option for you?

--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch