compatbility of .pyc files

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Tue Feb 22 21:29:10 EST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:31:12 +1300, Blair Hall wrote:

> I have a requirement to prevent 'accidental' tampering
> with some software written in Python. If I ensure that all
> of the modules concerned are compiled into .pyc's, and remove
> the .py's to another location, then I should be safe until
> the next upgrade of the Python interpretter.

Depending on how "scare quote-y" the scare quotes are, if you're really
out to avoid accidental tampering, why not just set the *.py files to
read-only?

Beyond that you get into rapidly diminishing returns; removing the .py
files is feasible if you have some semblance of control over the
interpreter, beyond that and you're usually better off with a binding
legal agreement.