How can I tell if my host supports Python?

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Mon Feb 14 19:38:10 EST 2005

If you have a shell, it's as simple as typing "python" and seeing if the
interactive interpreter appears:
    $ python
    Python 2.3.3 (#1, May  7 2004, 10:31:40)
    [GCC 3.3.3 20040412 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.3-7)] on linux2

If you've done this, you can find out the path to this Python
interpreter:
    >>> import sys; print sys.executable
    /usr/bin/python

Otherwise, the documentation for the 'cgi' module has a buried
suggestion with the simplest Python CGI program.
    http://docs.python.org/lib/node462.html
that program would look something like
    #!/usr/bin/python
    import cgi; cgi.test()
though you must know the correct path to the Python interpreter for this
to work.

Your best bet may be to ask your webhost for help---only they know how
they've (mis)configured your system.

Jeff