Python versus Perl ?

Caleb Hattingh caleb.hattingh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 01:28:06 EST 2005

Hi Adam

Thanks for your comments.

> I think the expression you seek is "comparing virtue among whores."

Sure, that's what I was saying, but not quite in as colourfil a manner
:)

> > The problem domains in which I do most of my work (chemical process

> > modelling and simulation) really do require speed.  That's why I
mostly
> > use Delphi (i.e. reasonably fast code) at work.   I believe I know
when
> > speed is and is not an issue, and (by far) most of the time, my
experience
> > is that it is *not*.  So I use Delphi for numerical code and python
for
> > everything else.
>
> Why don't you use C for the numerical work?  Then you can do your
number
> crunching within a c-based python module.  Have your cake and ...

As you might imagine, I think about this constantly.  However, there
are many other issues that make it complicated, such as having to work
in a team where the average guy knows pascal well (we're just a bunch
of chemical engineers), but has never even heard of python.  Plus, were
I to go this type of route, I would almost definitely code the binary
modules in Delphi or FreePascal, make a DLL and use ctypes to call it.
I do not know C and have no desire to learn now :)    On the other
hand, I know pascal quite well.

keep well
Caleb