Making dynamic data available via ODBC with Python

Diez B. Roggisch deetsNOSPAM at web.de
Mon Feb 7 11:25:50 EST 2005

> Is there some better way of doing this -- some way to provide tabular
> data remotely to Windows machines, usable in Office programs, which
> happens to already have some Python code written for it? Looking
> around, there is at least one XML-to-ODBC bridge but encoding the
> entire data file as XML is likely to have prohibitive overhead.

I still think that this is the most viable solution - if performance is bad,
you could still explore other possibilities.

 If it actually is performing bad - either literally or due to a badly
design - I'd go for creating a odbc2your-server driver. That would allow
you to cope with a pretty well defined standard (odbc) and doing the
network stuff totally on your own behalf instead of trying to make some
self-written protocol stack like postgres so compatible that a postgres
odbc driver doesn't know the difference.

--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch