Kill GIL

Courageous dontwant at spam.com
Sat Feb 12 23:01:43 EST 2005

>Here here. I find that threading typically introduces worse problems
>than it purports to solve.

I recently worked on a software effort, arguably one of the most
important software efforts in existence, in which individuals
responsible for critical performance of the application threw
arbitrarily large numbers of threads at a problem, on a multi
processor machine, on a problem that was intrinsically IO-bound.

The ease with which one can get into problems with threads (and
these days, also with network comms) leads to many problems if
the engineers aren't acquainted sufficiently with the theory.

Don't get me started on the big clusterfucks I've seen evolve
from CORBA...

C//