Matplotlib, py2exe and pytz

scott sh_snyder at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 22:10:31 EST 2005

I unzipped library.zip to see what compiled python files were included
in the zip.
As in the error stacktrace the Pytz.timezone package was not part of
the library.
After manually adding it and rezipping the library I ran into another
missing module, this time it was missing backend_agg

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "gcToCsv.py", line 5, in ?
  File "plot_output.pyc", line 1, in ?
  File "pylab.pyc", line 1, in ?
  File "matplotlib\pylab.pyc", line 195, in ?
  File "matplotlib\backends\__init__.pyc", line 20, in ?
ImportError: No module named backend_agg

I added that module and then saw that it was missing pyparsing
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "gcToCsv.py", line 5, in ?
  File "plot_output.pyc", line 1, in ?
  File "pylab.pyc", line 1, in ?
  File "matplotlib\pylab.pyc", line 195, in ?
  File "C:\PYTHON23\Lib\site-packages\matplotlib\backends\__init__.py",
line 20,
 in ?
    globals(),locals(),[backend_name])
  File
"C:\PYTHON23\Lib\site-packages\matplotlib\backends\backend_agg.py",
line
85, in ?
    from matplotlib.mathtext import math_parse_s_ft2font
  File "C:\PYTHON23\Lib\site-packages\matplotlib\mathtext.py", line
140, in ?
    from matplotlib.pyparsing import Literal, Word, OneOrMore,
ZeroOrMore, \
ImportError: No module named pyparsing

After that I stopped adding modules as I figured the problem was more
involved than just missing 1 or 2 modules.

My app just takes a set of data and plots it using the library. It does
not use matplotlib date functionality explicitly, it converts a list of
datatimes to a list of elapsed times (numbers of seconds) and plots
data against these floats.

The setup.py file I used was the one in the matplotlib documentation. I
then added the opt line to try and force the inclusion of that package.

I am relatively new to Python programming coming most recently from a
Java programming background, and was wondering why python does not have
the concept of a python archive much like a "jar" file in Java.
That would make all of these problems fairly trivial, inclusion of
dependant libraries would just be a matter of having the appropriate
"Python ARchive in a directory in the PYTHON_PATH so that it could be
loaded.

Thanks for any help on resolving my py2exe problems.

Scott Snyder