Controlling Pc From Server?

Larry Bates lbates at syscononline.com
Mon Feb 28 15:07:26 EST 2005

What you are asking IS much more difficult that just "timing".
The Internet is a disconnected stateless medium.  I can open
a browser to a site and just leave my browser open.  Am I viewing
that site or not?  There's no way to know.  I might have minimized
the browser window and am back doing productive work (assuming
my access to the web was non-productive).

The best way I've found to do what you want is to force all
HTTP traffic through a proxy (I like Squid, but others
work as well).  The proxy cache logs can provide you with
lost of information about where people are going and how much
information they download from the site.  They cannot however
tell you how long someone was there because of what I mentioned
above.  You can see if someone is going to www.nascar.com or
www.espn.com or to some other site.  You can also block sites
quite easily if there is no legitimate reason for people to
be at that site.

Hope info helps.
Larry Bates