variable declaration

Serge Orlov Serge.Orlov at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 18:52:20 EST 2005

Alexander Zatvornitskiy wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I'am novice in python, and I find one very bad thing (from my point
> of view) in language. There is no keyword or syntax to declare
> variable, like 'var' in > Pascal, or special syntax in C. It can
> cause very ugly errors,like this:
>
> epsilon=0
> S=0
> while epsilon<10:
>   S=S+epsilon
>   epselon=epsilon+1
> print S
>
> It will print zero, and it is not easy to find such a bug!

I'm late to the party, but I found an interesting text by the Guinness
book
record-holder in typing. He claims that the python way of dealing with
typos is right. He doesn't write about python directly but the main
idea is to punish heavily for every typo. He also has "nice" words for
software industry and the backspace key. Read it here:
http://www.supremelearning.com/bookexcerpts.html

By the way if my reading of poor quality scan of his record certificate
http://www.supremelearning.com/image_certificate.html is correct, his
typing speed was 614 characters/minute. Impressive! There is also his
book in Russian language:
http://www.supremelearning.com/russianslbookpart1.html

As for me, typos have never been a big problem. They happen rarely.
As the Guinness book record-holder suggests: don't make typos!

  Serge.