Integrated Testing - Peppable?

carl.manaster at gmail.com carl.manaster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 14:52:29 EST 2005

Hi,

Please excuse the intrusion from an admirer, but not a user, of Python.

I've got an idea that I think could improve the language and might be
relatively simple to implement.  I've developed a prototype with a toy
language here: <https://sourceforge.net/projects/zbt/>, with screenshot
here: <https://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=130278>

The idea is that if the language had testing built into it, editors
could take advantage of that to highlight, not by syntax, but by
correctness (as defined by the tests).  As a side effect, coverage
coloring is also possible.

So far, I see the need for three keywords: "expect", "returns", and
"archetype".  "expect" and "returns" get used together, as an
expression of what the function should return, given certain inputs.
"archetype" would define edit-type instantiable objects that could be
used in the tests.  The biggest lack at present is support for void
functions.

So...  Should I turn this into a PEP?

Peace,
--Carl