IDLE Problem: win98\Python2.4

kim kubik chaotrope at jps.net
Mon Feb 21 12:42:35 EST 2005

>   kim kubik wrote:
> > I installed Python2.4 in Win98
> > and IDLE doesn't work

> Are you also running Ruby? The Ruby bundle for MS Windows has caused
> problems with it's TCL package conflicting with Python's.

thanks, one of the first things I noted in the error msg
(not included for brevity) was that the ruby search
path in AUTOEXEC.BAT was ahead of the python path (and
ruby had tcl83.lib) so I REM'd all the tcl stuff out.
AND THEN (stupid me!) I put into AUTOEXEC.BAT
'set TCL_LIBRARY=c:\python23\tcl'  thinking that
would point python to the proper libs. What a mistake!
If I take that line out (and leave the ruby stuff REM'd
out as well) IDLE runs just fine. So thanks!

A little knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing; forgive my
stupidity - it will happen again, so I'm apologizing in advance!
\kim