[ANN] Python 2.4 Quick Reference available

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Mon Feb 21 10:30:42 EST 2005

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:57:14 +0000, rumours say that Michael Hoffman
<cam.ac.uk at mh391.invalid> might have written:

[snip: use 'open' in preference to 'file']

>To be honest I doubt open will be extended in this manner. I can see
>the Pythoneers adding, say, a keyword argument to open to allow a URL
>instead, but just changing the current behavior would be too risky. Plus,
>what happens if I have a file named "http://www.python.org/"?

I don't know in what filesystem you can have such a file name [1].  Slashes
('/') you can (kind of) get away with using \u2215 (DIVISION SLASH) on NTFS or
on UTF-8 encoded *nix filenames, but I haven't found a replacement for colon
(':').  Using similar glyphs, of course, invalidates the URL...

[1] Unless you mean it as a *path name*, which /could/ exist on *nix filesystems
(normalised to a directory called 'www.python.org' in the local subdirectory
'http:'), but still could not on NTFS.
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best.