Basic file operation questions

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Feb 2 16:59:00 EST 2005

alex wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a beginner with python and here is my first question:
> How can I read the contents of a file using a loop or something? I open
> the file with file=open(filename, 'r') and what to do then? Can I use
> something like
>
> for xxx in file:

Yes, indeed you can. That's by no means *all* you can do, but to iterate
over the lines of the file that will wrok exactly. Note that the lines
will still have their terminating "\n" on the end, which is why the
print statement inthe following example ends in a comma (this stops
print from putting out its own newline).

  >>> f = file("test92.py", 'r')
  >>> for l in f:
  ...   print l,
import os.path

def getHomeDir():
     ''' Try to find user's home directory, otherwise return current
directory.''
'
     try:
         path1=os.path.expanduser("~")