[EVALUATION] - E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Ilias Lazaridis ilias at lazaridis.com
Mon Feb 14 07:23:08 EST 2005

Brian Beck wrote:
> Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
>> this answer do not fit in most questions.
>>
>> please review them again.
>
> Actually, it does. Please review them again.
>
>> My questions:
>>
>> a) Why does the Python Foundation not provide additionally a binary
>>  version, compiled with MinGW or another open-source compiler?
>
> Because no one has yet volunteered their time and effort to get the
> job done.
[...]

thank you for placing the answers in context.

>> I ask some questions and suggest some things.
>>
>> Voluntarlily and without beeing paid.
>
> What a martyr you are.

like all the open-source folks?

>> There are many commercial systems around python.
>>
>> So please stop this volunteerism-stuff.
>
> If the support you're looking for is beneficial to your commercial
> application a.k.a. business, then why aren't you making it happen?

I am in the process of doing so.

First I have to analyze the status-quo.

Which is not very simple with such a community.

> Obviously the existing commercial development teams are doing fine
> without it, otherwise it would exist. Even then, a commercial
> developer providing their development work to enhance the standard
> Python distribution IS volunteering.

One of the most funny things within open-source is that switching:

first:
"we have powerfull solutions which beat this and that"

then:
"hey, this is just volunteer work"

-

I was impressed by zope and plone.

But if those answers above were of official nature, I must seriously
rethink if I can rely on _any_ system which is based on python, as the
foundation and the community do not care about essential needs and
requirements.

.

--
http://lazaridis.com