[ANN] Python 2.4 Quick Reference available

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun Feb 20 09:22:46 EST 2005

[Nick Coghlan]

> George Sakkis wrote:
>
> >Still the word "open" sounds too general if the meaning is "open
> >a file-like object"; OTOH this could be a good thing if in some
> >future version "open('http://www.python.org')" was e.g. an alias to
> >urllib2.urlopen.

> Exactly the reason the BDFL gave for preferring 'open' - it may be extended
> to opening other types of objects than files.

So, when we *know* we are opening a file, `file' cannot be a bad choice! :-)
Moreover, practically, most of the times, we know we are opening a file.

`open' is opened (sic!) for some future magic.  I prefer to protect my
programs against future magic, until this magic is precisely specified.

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca