Where are list methods documented?

Tony Meyer t-meyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Feb 3 17:26:41 EST 2005

> You're not the only one with a hard time finding the list
> documentation. It's even crazier for string docs.
>
> If you want to see how to strip strings in Python you have to go to
> the library docs, then click "sequence types" (betcha don't think of
> strings as sequences), then scroll to the bottom, then click "String
> Methods", then scroll to find "strip()".

Does nobody use an index anymore?  If you type "strip" into the index of the
Windows HTML help, the first entry is "strip (string method)", which is
probably what you want.  Or you can use the pyhelp.cgi script linked from
<http://python.org/doc> and search for "strip" and "strip (string method)"
is the second entry (the first, which is strip in the string module, would
tell you more-or-less the same, anyway).

<http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/pyhelp.cgi?keyword=strip&version=cu
rrent>

Or you can go to the general index in the regular version of the HTML help.
As you might expect, "strip" can be found under "s".

<http://docs.python.org/lib/genindex.html#letter-s>

I presume that there's some sort of index in the PDF and all the other
versions of the help, too.

=Tony.Meyer