Reportlab and Barcodes

Neil Benn benn at cenix-bioscience.com
Wed Feb 9 05:25:57 EST 2005

Josh wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I need someone to explain to me how to output a Code39 barcode to a
>Reportlab PDF. As far as I can tell, there is no means to do this with
>the Canvas object, and the demo that is included with the libraries is
>using the platypus Frame to place the barcode on the form. I do not
>wish to use this method. I'm guessing that it needs to be placed on the
>form as some type of graphic. It's obviously not going to work with the
>drawText method. Any ideas?
>
>Thanks
>
>Josh

Hello,

          Code39 isn't that complicated a barcode symbology to work
with.  What you can do is to write some code which can encode a Code39
barcode from a string into a simple graphic.  I used to have the
official spec for the barcode but that was in an old job.  You can get
the official spec from AIM - you'll have to pay for it but it's not
much.  Although beware about the Narrow:Width ratio if you're gonna try
and scan the barcode after printing it out - try and get hold of a
crappy scanner (I got stung by using a good scanner before in the past).

Cheers,

Neil

--

Neil Benn