webbrowser.py

Jeremy Sanders jeremy+plusnews at jeremysanders.net
Wed Feb 2 09:36:34 EST 2005

It occurs to me that webbrowser could be more intelligent on Linux/Unix
systems. Both Gnome and KDE have default web browsers, so one could use
their settings to choose the appropriate browser.

I haven't been able to find a freedesktop common standard for web browser,
however.

Firefox now sets itself as a "default browser" on startup, so python could
also look for a similar setting.

webbrowser could identify whether it was running under KDE/Gnome (maybe
scan the processes?), identify the correct desktop's browser (or just use
Gnome, maybe), and start that web browser.

Comments?

Jeremy