Where are list methods documented?

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Tue Feb 1 15:29:43 EST 2005

Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:
>  You could have gotten to the same place in several ways.
[snip]

Since I'm a unix person, I would have typed

  pydoc -k sort

But it doesn't come up with anything useful :-(

  $ pydoc -k sort
  MySQLdb.stringtimes - Use strings to handle date and time columns as a last resort.

In fact I've never had any luck with pydoc -k.  I think what it
searches through is too narrow - from its man page

    Run "pydoc -k <keyword>" to search for a keyword in the synopsis lines
    of all available modules.

This is the NAME line that appears in pydoc I think.

If it did a full text search that would be much more useful, or at
least a search through all the names of the functions & variables that
are exported.

My top wish for pydoc is to have the rest of the documentation in it!
Each module has lots of nice documentation which is only available in
HTML format - I'd much rather type "pydoc whatever" to see it all,
rather than have to load my browser, and click through several layers
of web pages.