Converting HTML to ASCII

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Feb 26 21:13:43 EST 2005

On 2005-02-26, Paul Rubin <http> wrote:
> Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se> writes:
>> You should probably do what some other poster suggested -- download
>> lynx or some other text-only browser and make your code execute it
>> in -dump mode to get the text-formatted html. You'll get that
>> working in an hour or so, and then you can see if you need something
>> more complicated.
>
> Lynx is pathetically slow for large files.

First, make it work.  Then make it work right.  Then worry
about how fast it is.

"Premature optimization..."

> It seems to use a quadratic algorithm for remembering where
> the links point, or something.  I wrote a very crude but very
> fast renderer in C that I can post if someone wants it, which
> is what I use for this purpose.

If lynx really is too slow, try w3m or links.  Both do a better
job of rendering anyway.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I know how to do
                                  at               SPECIAL EFFECTS!!