win32gui bug: where to report it?

George van den Driessche no-one at nowhere.com
Tue Feb 15 07:05:39 EST 2005

It's taken me ages to find out why my window, built out of win32all, wasn't
receiving any messages. Eventually I found the answer here:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2001-October/069451.html

The important point being:
> IIRC you have to pass the return value of the RegisterClass() call (which
> is an atom) to the CreateWindowEx() function as the second parameter
> (lpClassName).
... in other words, you can pass the name of your window class as the second
parameter, but it will silently fail to work. (This holds for CreateWindow
too.)

This is a bug for which it is pretty much impossible to work out the
workaround without being told it, so I'd like to put the workaround in a
more easily-found place. But where? win32all doesn't seem to have much
documentation, much less a bug database.

In case anyone else needs to find this message by searching, some keywords
are: win32all, win32gui, WNDCLASS, RegisterClass, CreateWindow,
CreateWindowEx

George