Is email package thread safe? (fwd)

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Sat Feb 12 14:09:59 EST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Antoon Pardon wrote:

> Op 2005-02-09, Roman Suzi schreef <rnd at onego.ru>:

>>> I doubt it. There is no indication that the email package uses any
>>> kind of locking. So multiple thread working on the same message
>>> will probably screw things up.
>>
>> Of course, I do not let threads to work on the same message!
>
> Why should that be: "off course"? The random module you spoke about
> was also only thread unsafe if you called the same random generator
> from various threads. Using a randon generator per thread shouldn't
> have been a problem. Since you mentioned that, I thought that was
> the kind of thread safety you were after.
>
>> I meant that the package doesn't pose other kinds of restrictions.
>> Can it work in _any_ situation work on two different messages at the same
>> time, without any interference?
>
> I can't give a guarantee, but there are no global statements and there
> doesn't seem to be assignments to cross module variables I think it
> would be a safe bet.

Thanks to all who discussed this. Really, I had the same thoughts about
1:1 object-thread relation being thread safe. I am doing further research and
if it will give interesting results, I shall post [solved] here.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
rnd at onego.ru =\= My AI powered by GNU/Linux RedHat 7.3