Python, Matlab and AI question

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 18 06:37:21 EST 2005

dataangel wrote:
> I'm a student who's considering doing a project for a Machine Learning
> class on pathing (bots learning to run through a maze). The language
> primarily used by the class has been Matlab. I would prefer to do the
> bulk of the project in python because I'm familiar with pygame (for the
> visuals) but I already have a lot of AI code written in Matlab.
>
> I'd like to be able to call Matlab code from within python. I'm not sure
> this is possible. My code runs in Octave just fine.

There have been some bridges between Matlab and Python, but most of them
are old, I believe.

   http://claymore.engineer.gvsu.edu/~steriana/Python/pymat.html

If you're on Windows, this may help:

   http://www.geocities.com/ptmcg/python/using_matlab_from_python.html

> I've heard about
> numerical python and scipy, but I'm not sure what tool is going to mean
> the least amount of recoding for me. At the very least I need to find a
> really fast package for matrix operations.

That would be Numeric and scipy. You'll probably need Numeric anyways
for pygame. scipy has a set of functions that try to mimic Matlab
functionality with the same names, so that may help in translating the code.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter