XDR? (was Re: is there a safe marshaler?)

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 10 16:21:51 EST 2005

PA wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2005, at 15:01, Irmen de Jong wrote:
>
>> Is xdrlib the only option?
>> I would expect that it is fast and safe because
>> it (the xdr spec) has been around for so long.
>

> XDR? Like Sun's "XDR: External Data Representation standard"?
>
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1014.html
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1832.html

Not "like", but "the".
Or at least, a subset. (the xdrlib module documentation says
"It supports most of the data types described in the RFC").

> How does XDR copes with Unicode these days?

Not directly, it seems that you have to encode
your unicode strings yourself first .

> Alternatively, perhaps there is a ASN.1 DER library in python?
>
> http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/en/standards/index.htm

I don't know. Is there?

PS the xdr format is not self-describing in the way that
marshal and pickle streams are. That is a big limitiation
for what I need it for so xdr seems to drop off my radar.
Is an ASN.1 stream self-describing?

--Irmen