how to write a tutorial

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Wed Feb 2 12:35:57 EST 2005

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 12:22:24 -0500,
	Dan Perl <danperl at rogers.com> quoted:
> "Xah Lee" <xah at xahlee.org> wrote in message
>> I suggest it be dropped in both places. The mentioning of this book in
>> the Perl/Python community is mostly a fawning behavior and confession
>> that the author is among "in the know". This book and its mentioning is
>> a cultish behavior among OpenSource morons.

Not to mention that the reference to the book in the regex howto is hardly
"fawning":

	  The most complete book on regular expressions is almost certainly
	  Jeffrey Friedl's Mastering Regular Expressions, published by
	  O'Reilly. Unfortunately, it exclusively concentrates on Perl and
	  Java's flavours of regular expressions, and doesn't contain any
	  Python material at all, so it won't be useful as a reference for
	  programming in Python. (The first edition covered Python's
	  now-obsolete regex module, which won't help you much.) Consider
	  checking it out from your library.

(I like how Lee extols Python, but also says its documentation was written
by "opensource morons".  Honestly, you couldn't pay for this much
entertainment.)

--amk