advice needed for simple python web app

Paul Rubin http
Fri Feb 4 01:31:43 EST 2005

"Dan Perl" <danperl at rogers.com> writes:
> > Be careful of exposing that script to the internet.  Spammers will
> > exploit it.
>
> Do you mean publishing the script for other people to copy it or exposing
> the web app so that other people may access it?

I mean installing the script on a server where spammers can run it and
stick you with the blame for people getting unwanted mail.  There used
to be some similar perl scripts running all over the place until that
happened.

> Don't worry anyway, I won't do either and I'm running 2 firewalls on
> my PC.  It would be really naive to expose the web app, wouldn't it?

Well, you should have some kind of user authentication if you expose
it, and you should read up a bit about security for web apps.  Python
is actually not such a great language for this, but you certainly get
more readable code than you would with perl.