[noob] Questions about mathematical signs...

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun Feb 6 16:25:25 EST 2005

administrata wrote:

> Hi! I'm programming maths programs.
> And I got some questions about mathematical signs.
>
> 1. Inputing suqare like a * a, It's too long when I do time-consuming
>    things. Can it be simplified?

You mean you have to write a*a*a*a when you want the fourth power? You
need the exponentiation operator ** :

  >>> for i in range(6):
  ...   print 2 ** i
1
2
4
8
16
32

> 2. Inputing fractions like (a / b) + (c / d), It's tiring work too.
>    Can it be simplified?

Surely you jest. Can you suggest a simplification, or have you come
across one in some other language?

> 3. How can i input root?

Fractional exponents give you roots (sorry about the tiring division):

  >>> for i in range(1,7):
  ...   print i, 64 ** (1.0/i)
1 64.0
2 8.0