For American numbers

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Feb 13 21:41:44 EST 2005

Peter Hansen wrote:

> I'll be one of the last holdouts, too...  it's really not
> so hard to work in powers of two if you try...

The difficulty isn't with working in powers of 1024, it's that the terms
are used inconsistently even within the computing industry.  Memory is
measured in kibibytes, but disk space is measured in kilobytes.
Something as basic as "1 meg" has different numeric meanings depending
on whether you're talking about memory or disk space or metered
bandwidth usage.  And a 1.44 MB isn't 1000^2 bytes or 1024^2 bytes, but
rather 1024*1000 bytes!

   The decree is the Sultan's; the mountains are ours.
   -- Dadaloglu