Is there a market for python developers?

Paul Rubin http
Thu Feb 3 13:26:05 EST 2005

"Mabon Dane" <mdane at h2001.net> writes:
> I am new to python and took my first attempts at working with this
> language today.  Is there a market for people who work with Python?

Well, there's two ways to look at that question:

1) Are there many companies with with openings like "we want to hire a
Python programmer"?  The answer is yes, not a huge number, but there
aren't a huge number of Python programmers either.

2) Can using Python make you more marketable as a programmer?
Certainly it can.  You can often get things done faster in Python than
in other languages, and getting things done always helps your
marketability.  Lots of times the customer just needs to get some task
completed, and they don't care whether you use Python or some other
language.  And using Python can result in such a big productivity gain
as to really help you score points with your employer or customer.

Python is not a magic bullet and it certainly shouldn't be the only
language you know.  However, wielded skillfully, it can be a very
powerful tool.