Why my modification of source file doesn't take effectwhendebugging?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Dec 5 08:58:23 EST 2005

"Christophe" wrote:

> F5 is designed to run the current open file. Sane people won't assume
> that pressing twice the F5 key will yield different. Sane people will
> assume that when you edit file1.py and press F5, it reparses the file,
> but when you edit file2.py and press F5 with file1.py it won't work. Why
> make it different ? Why make is so that I have to select the shell
> window, press CTRL+F6, select the file1.py and press F5 just so that it
> works as expected ?

I'm not sure I follow here: in the version of IDLE I have here, pressing
F5 will save the current file and run it.  If you've edit other parts of the
application, you have to save those files (Control-S) and switch to the
main script before pressing F5, but that's only what you'd expect from
a "run this module" command.

(being able to bind F5 to a specific script might be practical, of course,
but I'm don't think that's what you're complaining about.  or is it?)

> Idle is ok when you edit a single .py file. As soon as I need to edit 2
> .py files with one using the other, I'm glad I have other editors which
> spanw a clean shell each time I run the current file.

In the version of IDLE I have, that's exactly what happens (that's what
the RESTART lines are all about).

Is there some secret setting somewhere that I've accidentally managed
to switch on or off to get this behaviour?

</F>