- E04 - Leadership! Google, Guido van Rossum, PSF

Anton Vredegoor anton.vredegoor at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 10:08:38 EST 2005

Michael wrote:

> Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
> > [ panic, fear, worry ]
>
> What's wrong with just saying "Congratulations!" ? First thing I thought was
> "ooh, maybe Guido will be able to work on P3K there" - after all that would
> benefit Google *and* everyone else :-)

Google's not a nice company (yeah, I know I'm posting from a google
account). If you look at their job requirements it's clear they will
only hire people with long backstabbing histories. There seems to be no
room left for world improving undamaged souls in that company.

> (Especially if he uses PyPy to experiment and play in ... :)

Yes PyPy could save Python, or destroy the world. I have the impression
not many enough people realize that a selfhosting programming language
is something on the same level as a nano assembler or an artificial
intelligence. There is not much time anymore for idealists to start
trying to save the world, and I don't think we can count on google in
that respect.

Anton

'make my day, prove me wrong'