Which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails?

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 05:53:42 EST 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Russell E. Owen" <rowen at cesmail.net> writes:
> > I disagree. Once you've picked a database (not trivial in itself, of
> > course), you typically only have a few options for talking to in in
> > Python. Also, typically either:
> > - One stands out (because others have been abandoned or whatever), so
> > there's an easy answer, or
>
> But none of them stand out, the way the ones in PHP stand out, by
> being included in the standard library.

I think that's a very good reason to include them in the standard
library.

> With Python's web template systems, there's a real set of distinct
> ones and it's maybe still too early to say there's an easy answer.
> Hopefully there will eventually be one.

I think we're talking very small values of 'distinct' here. Arguably
the biggest difference between ASP and PHP is the language, then the
libraries and objects you use. Python already has a separate language
and libraries - does it really need a multitude of syntaxes for
embedding it in HTML? Obviously some people think so, but I wonder if
this isn't just because of the ease with which an enterprising web
developer can roll their own and release it, rather than there being
any significant benefits to any individual package over the others.

> With db modules, if there's an easy answer, then I can't understand
> why that easy answer isn't incorporated into the stdlib so people can
> stop having to research it.

I think there's an easy answer in most cases. Who is responsible for
making the decision though?

--
Ben Sizer