Wanted: binary of OpenCV Python extension module for Windows

Claudio Grondi claudio.grondi at freenet.de
Wed Dec 21 04:33:00 EST 2005

Claudio Grondi wrote:

> OpenCV means Intel® Open Source Computer Vision Library. It is a
> collection of C functions and a few C++ classes that implement some
> popular Image Processing and Computer Vision algorithms.
> OpenCV library is mainly aimed at real time computer vision.  Some
> example areas would be Human-Computer Interaction (HCI); Object
> Identification, Segmentation and Recognition; Face Recognition; Gesture
> Recognition; Motion Tracking, Ego Motion, Motion Understanding;
> Structure From Motion (SFM);  and Mobile Robotics:
>
> Overview:
>   http://www.intel.com/technology/computing/opencv/overview.htm
> Download:
>
> http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/opencvlibrary/chopencv-2.3.0-win.zip
>

> OpenCV provides a Python wrapper in
>  OpenCV\interfaces\swig\python\
> directory, but I have no idea how to turn it into a Windows binary yet.
>
> I have downloaded SWIG, but it creates files which are already in the
> directory, so it was the wrong idea. Probably I have to compile the
> _cv.cpp as a DLL, but my MS .NET 2003 Visual C++ compiler throws tons of
> error messages at me when I create an empty project, telling it should
> create an DLL out of _cv.cpp and then try to compile it.
>
> It would be so nice to have this Computer Vision Library as extension
> module in my modules library.
>
> Any hints how to achieve it?
>
> Claudio

For your information:

The conclusion from contacting the authors of the Python wrapper for
OpenCV is, that there is currently only support for Linux, but no for
the Windows platform available.
The
http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/opencvlibrary/chopencv-2.3.0-win.zip
dowload is outdated, so anyone willing to dig into this deeper should
access the CVS repository for the latest additions and changes.
Anyone interested in this subject and especially in the available
distutils setup script (fails to build the Python wrapper on Windows
with .NET 2003) from the CVS is welcome to contact me per email.

Claudio