Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Dec 7)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Fri Dec 9 11:08:02 EST 2005

In article <JO6mf.116$sF2.31 at trnddc02>,
David Isaac <aisaac0 at verizon.net> wrote:

>"Cameron Laird" <python-url at phaseit.net> wrote in message
>news:dn7ibf$id0$1 at lairds.us...
>>     Jibes against the lambda-clingers lead eventually to serious
>>     questions of style in regard to variable namespacing,
>>     lifespan, cleanup, and so on:
>>
>http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/ad0e15cb6b8f2c32/
>

>#evaluate polynomial (coefs) at x using Horner's ruledef horner(coefs,x):
>return reduce(lambda a1,a2: a1*x+a2,coefs)'Nuf said.Alan Isaac

No.

That is, this follow-up does *not* say enough for me to have confidence
of its intent.  Leaving aside such formalities as the relation between
"Alan Isaac" and "David Isaac", I *think* you're supporting a claim
about the value of lambda with a specific example.  Do I have that
right?  Are you saying that your definition of horner() would suffer
greatly without lambda?