Why and how "there is only one way to do something"?

bonono at gmail.com bonono at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 10:32:45 EST 2005

Carl J. Van Arsdall wrote:
> Although, obvious to whom is a good question.  If you don't know the
> language very little will be obvious to you, however one who is familiar
> with python (rtfm) would know which cases should obviously use "while"
> and which cases should obviously use "for"

So far, I haven't seen any for/while argument on this thread. So their
usage seems to be obvious to most if not all(which one to choose).

reduce/map/filter obviously is not the obvious way for people from C or
other imperative background, and may not be for those who never program
before.

However, for those who know these functions as well as the for style,
it is no longer so obvious(in the sense which is better/clearer). It
would then become a style choice. It can also be some policy choice,
like because an organisation want to be certain that newly hired
programmer(who would most likely be people from imperative background)
can pick up the program easily, it is better not to use the FP style.