Wingide is a beautiful application

Tony Nelson *firstname*nlsnews at georgea*lastname*.com
Mon Dec 19 13:35:02 EST 2005

In article <1134929375.728971.141000 at o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
 "sjdevnull at yahoo.com" <sjdevnull at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I get the feeling that a ot of people working with heavy IDEs don't
> realize how capable vim/emacs are, so I'll give a brief rundown of what
> my Vim environment does for me.  (I do Python web development)--if you
> don't like the Vi keybindings, the Cream package is Vim that behaves
> like a regular modeless editor but with all of vim's power (and a nice
> embedded Python interpreter for writing extensions):
>
> 1. Python syntax checking: as I'm typing along, if I input a syntax
> error then the line is immediately highlighted in red.  Useful for
> catching brainos like:
> if a=1:
> (which will highlight in red when I hit enter, point out that I need ==
> instead of =).

What do you use to do this?  Cream doesn't seem to do this oob.

> 2. Normal tag-jump stuff: Ctrl-click on a function/method call (or
> class or whatever) will jump to the function/method/class definition
> (Ctrl-T works as well if you don't like clicking).  It keeps a stack of
> visited files so you can drill down through your call stack and then
> pop back up to where you came from.

Do you set up ctags for this?  I get error messages "E433: No tags file"
and "E426: tag not found: xxx" when I Ctrl-click on a method call.

> 3. Python class browsing stuff: A Class menu shows the parent and child
> classes of the one you're currently in, and all the methods of the
> current class; selecting any of the above jumps to the appropriate file
> and line.

Is this the Tag List?

> 4. Interactive documentation stuff: When I type an open-paren, it looks
> to see what the prior keyword is and displays help for it in the status
> line (preferring Python documentation, then docstrings, then comments
> before the function/method/class definition).  Even if there's no
> help/comments, it'll show the arguments that the function takes.  So
> if, say, I type:
>
> cmp(
>
> then the status line displays:
>
> cmp(x, y) Compare the two objects X and Y and return an integer
> according to ...
>
> If I hit F1 it'll show the full help text.  Often the arguments are
> enough, and I find the status-line display a lot less intrusive than
> many on-the-fly help systems I've seen.

This stuff doesn't happen either.  How is it set up?

> 5. A client menu selects which client I want to work in (so, say, I get
> a bug report for Client A, I select them from the menu).  The Class
> menu and other functions respect this (if I'm in the generic Company
> class, the Class menu will list Client A's Company subclass before the
> subclasses of other companies; if I jump to the Company definition,
> it'll go to Company A's client-specific version).  It also restarts
> development httpd servers on the current machine running with conf
> files appropriate to that client.

Where is this "client menu"?  How is it set up?